Thursday, October 22, 2009

Family

"Friends are God's way of apologizing for relatives."

~ Wayne Dyer

Sometimes, a person in our family is toxic. All we can do is invite them to be in relationship with us. If their love is conditional, if they choose not to be respectful and to not treat us with dignity, we do not have to keep them in our lives. I used to think that wasn't being spiritual. Now I am learning being spiritual is loving myself, and surrounding myself with people who care about me, the way God does. Yes, forgiveness and acceptance is essential. You don't want to carry a grudge about them. But at the end of the day, we need to create our own 'family of friends" who love us, support us, cheer us on, forgive us our shortcomings and treat us with kindness and compassion.

That is spiritual maturity.

Affirmation O' the Day: Today I am a spiritual grown up. I surround myself with loving friends and family.

No comments:

Post a Comment