Tuesday, September 15, 2009

I Look to You

I watched the second part of Oprah's interview with Whitney Houston today. I am not a big fan of Whitney, although she has a beautiful voice.

She made her "comeback" debut today, and says it is more a "come through."

I know she had a lot of turmoil in her life, with drugs and an abusive husband. I must admit, I felt judgemental about her whenever I heard the gossip. "She is wasting a good life that God gave her," I thought to myself.

I am sorry that I judged her. Now I see she was going through a Divine experience. There was a higher purpose. Through her 7 year absence from the public eye, she asked God for strength and God answered her prayers. It was her faith, and being surrounded by people who loved her and believed in her, that pulled her through.

On her new CD she sings a song, "I Look to You," about looking to God for strength. It was written by R. Kelly 10 years ago. Whitney said, "everything has it's Divine Time." She was referring to why R. Kelly's song came out so long after he had written it. But I felt it also was a reference to the time it took for her to "come through." Divine Time.

Whitney said she wasn't concerned about losing her voice when she was down and out. She always had it. She was singing to herself even through those challenging years. But she said she was most concerned about losing the Spirit behind her voice.

At the end of the show, it was evident in the lyrics of the song, "I Look to You," that Spirit never left her:

"I was not built to break [my mother told me].

I didn't know my own strength.

... Now I know my own strength."

God Bless you Whitney and thank you for the poignant reminder - God did not build us to break...

No comments:

Post a Comment