Friday, September 18, 2009

Happy New Year

Tonight begins Rosh Hashonah, the Jewish New Year. It is one of the holiest days of the year, and my favorite holiday. It is a time to reflect on your past year, to seek forgiveness, and a time of renewal.

When I was younger, the blowing of the shofar at temple ushered in the excitement of a New Year, being with family, and my mom's delicious Noodle Kuegel. I loved Fall and the hope of new beginnings. Preparing my notebook with colored dividers and buying new PeeChee folders, I felt the hope of a fun year ahead in school. A clean slate. A fresh start.

Today, as I reflect on my life in the past year, I am seeing my courage in creating a new beginning in my life. After raising my children, and living in that city for 15 years, I decided it was time to leave. My sons had already moved on; graduating from college and thriving in their grown up lives. Now it was my turn. This past year has been filled with a lot of adapting and creating a new life for myself.

About halfway into my year here, I realized, as Mary Tyler Moore's opening theme song said, "You're gonna make it after all."

The road hasn't always been easy, but I'm still on it, fortified by my faith and the love of friends and family, excited to usher in the hope of a joyful, prosperous and loving year ahead.

I am grateful for all that I have. I am wishing you and yours all of the sweetness life has to offer. Happy New Year...

No comments:

Post a Comment