Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Sherry Baby

This is a true story. Click here, SherryBaby to listen to the song while you read this post, if you'd like!

Growing up, "Sherry Baby" by Franki Valli and the Four Seasons was, of course, one of my favorite songs. In grammar school (yikes) a boy that had a crush on me gave me the "45" record of "Sherry Baby." Over the years, I enjoyed the song, and got a kick out of people singing it to me when they were introduced to me and heard my name. Years later, after my father passed, whenever I was needing a lift, I would hear "Sherry Baby" playing on the radio. It felt like my dad was dropping by to say hello, to comfort me...to remind me I was not alone, and that he was watching over me.

Fast forward to 8 years ago, when my younger son was in High School. His girlfriend at the time, was visiting our home one day. "Sherry Baby" came on the radio, and I ran to turn it up louder. His girlfriend said, "Oh, do you like that song? My grandfather, Bob Guadio, wrote Sherry Baby...he is one of the Four Seasons! Would you like to meet him?"

Oh My God!! I did meet him, and he was very kind, considering that I could hardly speak. I felt like one of those hysterical teenage groupies. People kept the conversation going until I gained some composure and felt like a bit of an adult again. I asked if he had named the song after someone special. I remember he said that he did not, but that after he wrote it, they named the horse on their ranch in the mid-west, "Sherry Baby." I thought that was funny.

Why write about this in a spiritual blog? Because the news that her grandfather wrote "Sherry Baby" was astounding to me on a few levels. One, how could I be so old, that my son's girlfriend's GRANDFATHER, ... you get the picture. The other level was spiritually. I was in awe by the Universe's orchestration of all this. As you know, I don't believe there are coincidences. Sometimes I feel it's all been played out ahead of time on God's chess board. "I'll put this person here, then move that one over there, and that will make room for the next experience, etc."

At the time, I was going through a difficult divorce, and my dad, from the other side, surely knew. It felt like Spirit helped him "kick it up a notch," by not just playing the song on the radio to comfort me, but by bringing one of The Four Seasons, and the creator of "Sherry Baby" into my life right when I needed a really big lift! I wonder, could God be that all-knowing, to have orchestrated this decades ago, knowing I would need comfort at that moment?? With God...All Things ARE Possible.


"Sherry Baby...why don't you come out tonight, where the bright moon shines, we'll dance the night away...I'm gonna make you mi-i-ine.."

No comments:

Post a Comment